Welcome to Robert Thorson's Homepage
My colleagues, students, readers, audiences, and clients know me as a:
- Professor of Geology at the rural campus of the University of Connecticut, where I juggle teaching, research, mentoring, and committee work.
- Author of five books written who is now eagerly awaiting publication of Walden's Shore: Henry David Thoreau and Nineteenth-Century Science (Harvard University Press), on January 6, 2014 .
- Journalist who writes a regular Op-Ed column for the Hartford Courant, the oldest continuously publshed newspaper in the nation, and the state's major metropolitan daily.
- Public Speaker and field trip leader for a variety of venues, most commonly historic preservation and conservation organizations. Link to upcoming events.
- Consultant on geo-topics ranging from museum exhibit design to expert witness testimony.
Away from work, I'm a husband, father, son, friend, and solitary soul whose principal hobbies are Nature, reading, cooking, and public television. I have a special affinity for small lakes, deep woods, and salty beaches.
The closest I get to public social media are my "friendless" page on Facebook, and my erratic entries to the reader's website Goodreads.
Photo by Kristine Thorson taken July, 2013 in Manfred, North Dakota. Below me are the graves of my sodbuster Norwegian-American grandparents, Perry and Lillian Anderson.