Welcome to Robert Thorson's Homepage
My colleagues, students, readers, audiences, and clients know me as a:
- Professor of Geology at the rural University of Connecticut, where I juggle teaching, research, mentoring, and committee work.
- Author of five books, the latest being Walden's Shore: Henry David Thoreau and Nineteenth-Century Science (Harvard, 2014). Link to recent reviews.
- Journalist who writes a regular Op-Ed column for the Hartford Courant, the oldest continuously published newspaper in the nation, and the state's major metropolitan daily. Link to recent columns.
- Coordinator of the Stone Wall Initiative, a primary resource for anyone interested in New England's historic stone walls.
- Public Speaker and field trip leader for a variety of venues, most commonly historical societies, conservation organizations, and land trusts.
- Consultant on geo-topics ranging from museum exhibit design to expert witness testimony.
Away from work, I'm a husband, father, son, friend, and solitary soul whose principal hobbies are enjoying wild Nature, hiking, reading, cooking, and public television. I have a special affinity for small lakes, deep woods, and salty beaches.
The closest I get to electronic social media are my "friendless" page on Facebook, and my erratic entries to the reader's website Goodreads.
Photo by Kristine Thorson taken July, 2013 in Manfred, North Dakota.